Winter is on its way, and with it come the most treacherous driving conditions of the year. Drivers need to take into account anything from frost to heavy snow. So, we’ve put together a handy myth busting guide to give you some top winter driving tips – offering advice on skidding, snow, fog and much more. (more…)
Archive for the ‘Driving for Work’ Category
One of the fundamental skills of anyone responsible for fleet safety management is the ability to connect and engage with drivers in order to promote driver safety and wellbeing. However, all too often line managers are catapulted into running a fleet from another part of the business, and as a result end up focussing on productivity and efficiency rather than health and safety. In this special post, we explore the steps line managers can take to fine-tune their behavioural safety skill set and keep their drivers safe… (more…)
Posted in Driving for Work, Fleet management, Health and safety law, Risk Assessment, Safety training, Worker Engagement, Workplace health, tagged car safety, car training, fleet, fleet managment, Health and Safety, Risk, risk assessment on August 27, 2015| 2 Comments »
“All of a sudden a car came from nowhere!” – Sound familiar? Car crashes happen every day in every country in the world, and we often insist on blaming external factors. However, the reality is that it’s often us at fault. In fact, it’s estimated that 95 per cent of crashes are actually due to human error. The other 5 per cent can be split between mechanical failure (which doesn’t include a worn tyre or faulty brakes, as that still counts as human error!) and something that could not have been prevented or predicted, such as a tree falling across the road. In this blog we are going to explore the reasons why human error is such a major cause of road crashes, and how adapting our behaviour can prevent them from happening… (more…)
Posted in Auditing, Driving for Work, Fleet management, Health and safety law, Risk Assessment, Safety Professionals, Safety training, Uncategorized, Worker Engagement, Workplace health, tagged audits, cars, driving for work, financial, fleet, fleet management, Fleet Managers, motors, Risk on July 29, 2015| Leave a Comment »
As most of you will be aware, a Fleet Risk Audit refers to the process of gathering work related road safety information and then acting upon it. While this might sound fairly simple, the difficult part for many organisations is maintaining a record or paper trail of all of the steps taken that demonstrate how compliance with legal and internal obligations have actually been achieved. This is important, as apart from the clear ethical case for addressing the road safety issue, there’s also a legal requirement to act. With that in mind, this blog examines how conducting a Fleet Risk Audit can save you money and protect your senior managers, line managers, front line drivers and other road users, not to mention the brand image and reputation of your organisation…
Posted in Auditing, Driving for Work, Fleet management, Hazards, Health and safety law, Risk Assessment, Safety Professionals, Safety training, Statistics, Uncategorized, Worker Engagement, Workplace health, tagged fleet, fleet managment, fleet safety, Health and Safety, Health and Safety law, Lifting at work, safety on June 22, 2015| Leave a Comment »
According to the HSE, driving a vehicle for work related activities is the single most dangerous task that most of us will do on a daily basis. Of course, these are comparative levels of risk. If your job involves deep sea fishing or climbing up trees with chainsaws buzzing away, well that’s obviously pretty risky! For most of us however, jumping in a car, van, bus or truck and making that work related trip is pretty much the most dangerous part of our day. But what can you do to mitigate the risk – both to your employees and your organisation? Read on to find out…
As with any health and safety system, the use of Telematics should be regularly evaluated and reviewed, to check that it is achieving the organisation’s aims and objectives, identifying problems that need to be resolved and improvements to be made.
To get the most out of your organisation’s investment, it is essential that managers and drivers review the driver feedback and proactively use it to inform future safety measures.