There are quite a few changes from OHSAS 18001 which you must prepare for in order to migrate and comply with ISO 45001.
RoSPA’s Principal Consultant Bernard Cerrino, has many years’ experience in helping organisations successfully implement safety management systems, he has put together a list of key changes when preparing for the transition, which RoSPA can help you with.
What are the key changes from OHSAS 18001 to ISO 45001?
- There is a much stronger focus on the organisation’s context which will require the organisation to look beyond its own Health & Safety issues and consider external influences such as regulation, governance, and stakeholders. Understanding the needs and expectations of interested parties such as workers, customers, shareholders, and board members is also required.
- Rather than delegating health and safety responsibility to a Health & Safety Manager, there is the requirement to integrate the system into the organisation’s overall management and operation’s system.
- Top management have a stronger leadership role with regard to the OH&S Management system and leaders are required to demonstrate commitment.
- Worker participation, engagement, communication and awareness of their roles is enhanced, this now includes the promotion of non-managerial roles in incident investigation, risk assessment, control and monitoring and internal auditing activities.
- Documented information replaces procedural and record requirements, but these can be retained within the OH&S system if deemed necessary.
- The standard now specifies the hierarchy of control in order of preference with regard to risk management principles.
- The standard now includes requirement to manage change, outsourcing of processes, procurement of goods and services, contractor control and communication of work activities.
- Management review expands upon the previous standard requiring increased emphasis on improvement and communications based on risks, opportunities and the effectiveness of the system.
How can RoSPA help me transition from OSHAS 18001 to ISO 45001?
RoSPA’s Occupational Health and Safety Policy Adviser, Karen McDonnell, and Head of Consultancy Nathan Davies were part of the BSI committee responsible for developing the new standard. As a result, we have a superb range of support services available, and can give you as little or as much help as you need.
- We can carry out a gap analysis of where you are now and identify how to meet the requirements of ISO 45001.
- Help you transition successfully from OHSAS 18001 to ISO 45001.
- Audit your organisation using auditors with many years of auditing experience to the requirements of new standard.
If you would like to find out more about what the key changes are, what the standard expects, how it might work in your organisation and what, if any new challenges might occur, RoSPA’s ISO 45001 Seminar will help you decide on the next steps to take.
Book your place – https://www.rospa.com/events/iso-45001/