No matter what your role in health and safety, the chances are you’ll have heard of IOSH – the Institution of Occupational Safety and Health. Based in the UK, but with members around the globe, IOSH is not just the biggest health and safety membership organisation in the world, but also the only Chartered body for health and safety professionals. Whether you’re a manager who needs to handle health and safety in your team or you’re looking to further your career in health and safety, knowing the facts about IOSH is vital to your future career. This short guide will tell you everything you need to know about both IOSH and its flagship course: IOSH Managing Safely…
1 What is IOSH Managing Safely?
IOSH Managing Safely is designed for managers and supervisors in any organisation or sector. It’s a pragmatic course, with a sharp business focus, which is held in high esteem by delegates and is delivered over three, four or five days at locations throughout the UK, as an in-company option, or online for those overseas or who simply wish to learn from the comfort of their own desk.
2 What is IOSH Training?
IOSH has developed the syllabus for some very well known health and safety training courses, as well as some more niche courses such as IOSH Managing Safely in Aviation, or IOSH Workplacement Assessors for those in certain job roles or sectors. Indeed, there’s an IOSH health and safety training course suitable for almost every level, in every sector and any organisation. Every year, around 100,000 employees gain an IOSH qualification.
3 What is IOSH Membership?
There are six categories, culminating in Chartered Status (CMIOSH/ FIOSH), which is reserved for members who meet the highest standards of competence.
The six IOSH membership categories are:
- Affiliate Member
- Associate Member
- Technician Member
- Graduate Member
- Chartered Member
- Chartered Fellow
The next steps…
RoSPA offers a range of IOSH courses that use a variety of learning techniques, interactive multimedia content, no jargon and a range of training tools. You can choose from a number of options:
- IOSH Managing Safely– Provides a superb grounding in the practical actions you need to handle health and safety in your team.
- IOSH Refresher Course – Maintain a valid qualification and keep up-to-date with current developments in health and safety best practice and legislation.
- IOSH Online– A flexible, interactive and user-friendly alternative to classroom training, which puts you in control of your learning.
- IOSH Managing Safely in Aviation – Covers areas such as ramp safety, aircraft turnaround and airside safety management.
- IOSH Health & Safety For Work Placement Personnel – Provides sufficient knowledge to be able to assess a workplace in terms of health and safety to determine its suitability as a work experience placement.
- IOSH Leading Safely – Discover the business benefits of leading safely: better productivity, increased profits, an enhanced reputation and a stronger brand.
For more interviews, insight, vital health and safety guides, facts and advice, please sign up to SafetyMatters, RoSPA’s free newsletter, and receive our collection of free original e-books!